Church History: The First Spiritualist Society was formed in 1898. The Society purchased a Victorian Gothic Church, built in 1887, and opened its doors to Spiritualism on January 1, 1918, in Springfield, MA. The Society incorporated in 1919 as The First Spiritualist Church of Springfield and became a chartered member of the National Spiritualist Association of Churches (NSAC). The NSAC was founded, incorporated and recognized as a religion in 1893. It is the oldest, most respected, Spiritualist organization in the United States.
The church is recognized by the Springfield Historical Commission. On April 12, 1987, the Commission erected a plaque at the entrance that notes its inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places and gives a brief history of the building.
In 2013, the First Spiritualist Church of Springfield was sold to MGM. A newer building was purchased at 465 Granby Road, Chicopee, MA. The members voted on a new name for this church; Healing Hands of Light Spiritualist Church, NSAC. The building has been fully renovated and is handicap accessible. The building is air conditioned. The upholstered chairs in the sanctuary is comfortable and accommodates 99 for services.
The refreshment area is setup so that those with children who are unable to sit through a service, will be able to view and hear the service on a screen, as if they are in the sanctuary. Since the service is recorded for our web site, it is necessary to have the sanctuary quiet.
There are ongoing classes throughout the year. Classes will be taught by various Certified members of the Church; therefore, each class is different. Church circles include discussions relating to healing, mediums, meditation and other topics important for the unfolding of your spiritual self and everyday life. Each student will participate in laying-on-of-hands healing. For more information on development circles dates and times, see the News & Events section of this website!
Declaration of Principles:
1. We believe in Infinite Intelligence
2. We believe that the phenomena of Nature, both Physical and Spiritual, are the expression of Infinite Intelligence.
3. We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith, constitutes true religion.
4. We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continue after the change called death.
5. We affirm that communication with the so-called dead is a fact, scientifically proven by the phenomena of Spiritualism.
6. We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
7. We affirm the moral responsibility of individuals and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness as we obey or disobey Nature's physical and spiritual Laws.
8. We affirm that the doorway to reformation is never closed to any soul here or hereafter.
9. We affirm that the precepts of Prophecy and Healing are divine attributes proven through Mediumship.
Simplified Version of the Declaration of Principles
1. We believe in God.
2. We believe that God is expressed through all Nature.
3. True religion is living in obedience to Nature's Laws.
4. We never die.
5. Spiritualism proves that we can talk with people in the Spirit World.
6. Be kind, do good, and others can learn to do likewise.
7. We bring unhappiness to ourselves by the errors we make and we will be happy if we obey the Laws of Life.
8. Every day is a new beginning.
9. Prophecy and healing are expressions of God.